gnikyt Code ramblings.

WSL network speed

Recently, I jumped back into Windows after a few months of Linux and FreeBSD. I opted to upgrade to Windows 11 and clean out my system to be better for development.

I noticed that since the upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11… general “starting” of VSCode and remote connecting to WSL was slow. Additonally, internal network request serving was slow; things such as Webpack dev server would take upwards of 5 minutes to serve a small-to-medium application.

In digging into it, other people have reported similar issues. Using speedtest-cli, my download was decent but my upload speed was in the 0.5-0.8 mbps range.

I decided to try some solutions listed in the issue and here are my personal results…

Potential Solution #1 #

Editing resolv.conf and wsl.conf to set a nameserver and disable WSL from autogenerating the resolv.conf file each time and overwriting our new settings.

sudo rm /etc/resolv.conf
sudo bash -c 'echo "nameserver" > /etc/resolv.conf'
sudo bash -c 'echo "[network]" > /etc/wsl.conf'
sudo bash -c 'echo "generateResolvConf = false" >> /etc/wsl.conf'
sudo chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf

For the above, this didn’t change anything for me when re-running speedtest-cli, I was still seeing very slow upload speeds.

Potential Solution #2 #

Opening PowerShell in adminsitrator mode and running Disable-NetAdapterLso -Name "vEthernet (WSL)".

This solution seemed to actually work in my case! Webpack dev server was operating normally and speedtest-cli was reporting numbers identical to the host machine in both download and upload.